Monday, May 04, 2009

FRANCE -- the quiet side of Cannes


The transparent waters off of Isle Ste. Marguerite


Most people when they think of Cannes, think of the annual Cannes Film Festival which has had celebrities (and paparazzi)flocking to the small, Mediterranean town for the last 60 years. Either that or they get stuck on how to properly pronounce the name (it's "Can," even though it seems to go against linguistic logic).

But Cannes has another side to it, away from all the high-end glitz and glamour, and this is what makes the town a worthwhile stop. While I myself was a bit dissapointed by Cannes unoriginality and lack of atmosphere, I did stumble across a reason to return.


Docking at the ferry terminal


The Island of Ste. Marguerite is a mere 15 minute ferry ride from the yacht-strewn docks of Cannes, yet feels a million miles away. Here you are free to stroll among pine and eucalyptus trees, walk through fields of fragrant lavender and find a small piece of rocky shore to call your own. The waters around the island are as warm as bathwater and are surprisingly clear, a very inviting option on a stifling summer day. If all this peace and tranquility proves to be too much for you, the magestic 17th century Vauban Fort will stimulate your mind. Here the prison holds the legend of the Man in the Iron Mask , as well as a remarkable Maritime Musuem.



The stronghold of Vauban Fort

















There is no accommodation on the island, which adds to the calmness, but there is plenty to be found on the mainland. A good bet is Hotel Iris, which has clean and spacious dorms (I had one all to myself) as well as an on-site Mexican restaurant which serves the best kick-ass Pina Colada on the Continent.
Island off of Cannes

As Sails Pass By

Provencal Roads (click to englarge)







Fields of Lavender




DON'T FORGET! I am having a dress giveaway on my OTHER BLOG: ANYWHERE BUT HERE (the fashion one)...be sure to enter as I am doing the draw on Wednesday. Thanks!

11 said they wanna go too:

Blogger Bradpetehoops wanderlusted...

Very beautiful place.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Couture Carrie wanderlusted...

Gawd these pics are gorgeous, as are you!

xoxox,
CC

9:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown wanderlusted...

oh how i wish i was there right now!
xox

11:15 AM  
Blogger amy wanderlusted...

Wow. This is where I want to be. Reading your blogs provide me so much inspiration for my aspirations. I want to travel, I want to become somebody. I love your blog, it's very different from the rest, and you educate me always. SO I'm thanking you :)

Never change my beautiful xo

11:41 PM  
Blogger Emz wanderlusted...

Cannes looks so nice! I love the beach

9:57 PM  
Blogger Karen wanderlusted...

aww thanks for all the comments
ive been so busy lately i have barely had time to reply to anyone!

i have thought about selling them online but still don't really know what to do.. make it was the first show i did so i am still figuring things out! i think if i had more time to commit to it then i would, perhaps i still will though!

all your posts make me want to get up and travel the world!! which is potentially very dangerous, as i tend to get excited about things and just go for it!

i hope the wedding was enjoyable!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Anna Pope wanderlusted...

Beautiful photos. I wish I was on that island right now!

Thanks for the lovely comments darling, always glad to find another Xmen fan out there. I think I've seen the movies about 5 times each and never get bored of them!!

1:16 AM  
Blogger CAMILLE wanderlusted...

Oh I'm so jelous...Wish I was there right now.

camille x

3:22 PM  
Blogger Carolina Botelho wanderlusted...

UAU.. I'm jelous.. this place is amazing!

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Cannes rental Apartment wanderlusted...

Thanks for sharing an article about an important Topic.
It was very nice.



Looking for more information.............

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Cannes Accommodation wanderlusted...

The pictures are very nice.
thanks for sharing in your article.

4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home