Friday, May 08, 2009

Banks Penninsula, NZ
































The Banks Peninsula extends out from the East Coast of the South Island like a wee thumb. A little over an hour from the city of Christchurch, the Peninsula is home to historical towns, such as the French settlement of Akaroa, and historical sights (the peninsula is formed by volcanic activity). The area is characterized by steep and undulating hills, deep coves, winding roads and amazing wildlife. There are plenty of boutique hotels, private bed and breakfasts and charming hostels around Akaroa and the Outer Banks, but the one I reccommend is the wonderul Le Bons Bay Backpackers. A wonderfully remote and rustic setting, this gregarious and memorable place serves home-cooked meals and takes guests out on fantastic private dolphin-watching trips. It's a bit of a trek to get to (and that's definitely part of its charm), but they do offer free pick-up or you can use the only taxi service in Akaroa, run by the sweetest lady. Underated, underappreciated and off the beaten track, The Banks Peninsula is a worthy stop on your New Zealand journey.

Please visit my fashion blog Anywhere But Here for an interview with local Vancouver designer, Hannah Fletcher of Narcissist

12 said they wanna go too:

Blogger just me wanderlusted...

you take a great picture. wish you were in more of them ;)

4:10 PM  
Blogger Wanderlusting wanderlusted...

Aw, gee thanks. I have millions more coming, though I'm gonna let the scenery shine instead of me ;)

4:52 PM  
Blogger CAMILLE wanderlusted...

LOVE NZ!

camille x

3:22 PM  
Blogger Tru wanderlusted...

this gorgeous I want to go here so badly...ive wanted to go to NZ ever since i found out they filmed LOTR there

3:56 PM  
Blogger E wanderlusted...

Yup, sign me up. I've always wanted to go to NZ and you're adding to the list of reasons with these gorgeous pics.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Susana Rodrigues wanderlusted...

wow how beautiful!
xoxo
Su

1:04 PM  
Blogger Hanh, Life-in-Travel wanderlusted...

The photos are beautiful. Thank you for your comment and adding me in you bloglist. I do the same.
Hanh,
www.life-in-travel.blogspot.com

9:18 AM  
Blogger Angela wanderlusted...

OMG the water is sooo pretty.

1:03 PM  
Blogger amy wanderlusted...

Oh wow! I was just asking my mom what New Zealands landscape and climate was like, and then I came across your blog to drool over your new post, and it's a New Zealand post! I think that is just so cool!

You are so lovely, you know. I hope that I can travel, and backpack around Australia and other parts of the world like you did. I think it would shape me in so many ways.


oxoxoxoxo

5:46 PM  
Blogger styleburst wanderlusted...

the photos are spectacular!! Absolutely gorgeous! :)

9:11 AM  
Blogger TheBeautyFile wanderlusted...

These photos are unbelievable...so glad to have found your blog.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Bradpetehoops wanderlusted...

So beautiful place in New Zealand!

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home