Thursday, May 14, 2009

Trains, planes and...no, actually, just trains

Yeah. Trains. This is a post about trains. I am so totally losing it.

Personally, I love trains and they are my favourite way to travel. There is something so inherently romantic and emotional about train rides, almost as if you are slowly chugging your way into a more lyrical, bygone era - unless you are on the TGV in France, in which you would be hurtling at alarming speeds into a lyrical, bygone era. It works either way though.

We don't have many trains here in Canada. I know of one amazing journey though that leaves from Vancouver and takes you into the Rocky Mountains, but unfortunately, it is also like a million dollars to ride that thing (slight exageration) since we don't have many competing train companies and thus they can jack up the price.

The States is more properly serviced, train-wise, but there is something very un-romantic about Amtrak and the tendency for those trains to NOT stay ONtrack.

No, if you need experience the "real" train experience, you need to go to Europe. Just look at the movies it has inspired.... The Lady Vanishes, Murder on the Orient Express, The Great Train Robbery, etc etc.

Where else are train systems such a way of life? Where you can forgo a night at the hostel and spend it sleeping in a moving bunkhouse? Where you can sip wine while the Austrian scenery whips past you? And don't get me started on train stations! The wonderful sound the board makes when the times and trains flip. The hustle and bustle of thousands of travelers. The miniture cities that surround the train station. The sound and smell of the trains pulling away from the tracks. Stuffing heavy backpacks into the lockers. My heart is thumping just thinking about it.

Of course, I've had my share of HELL on trains, if you recall THIS STORY. But overall, I would rather train it than bus or fly any day.



Looking pretty for once on a train to Toulouse/Carcassonne



Patiently waiting in Lyon



The Gare de Lyon train station in Paris



Hurtling at supersonic speeds on France's TGV



Norwegian Train Tunnels



Pulling a Dr. Zhivago in Norway




My bed, from Austria to Italy



Breakfast on the train



The last heave ho of the backpack before bording, Cologne, Germany



Watching the night fall, Austria


What is your favourite way to travel? By air? By car? By boat? By train? By...horse? Speaking of riding things, I had a dream last night I was riding an Emu...very strange.

Labels: , ,

13 said they wanna go too:

Blogger Dan wanderlusted...

I love trains as well! My entire childhood and adolescence was spent living in a house by the railroad tracks. Hearing the sound of the train, at all hours was very comforting. And travelling on them is awesome.

One sleeper train in India, however, was terrible. And it's my worse memory of travelling on a train. One of the young girls in our party was actually felt-up by a local during the night. He happened to be passing through the area and fancied her. Ugh. We didn't have separate cabins. The other passengers were able to simply walk down the aisle and peek through the curtains at those sleeping.

Oh ... and when you went to the bathroom, it was a hole in the floor and you could see the passing railroad track race by below you!

3:55 AM  
Blogger simon wanderlusted...

trains are good

11:16 PM  
Blogger Anil P wanderlusted...

Aha . . the trains of thought that traveling in trains induces, matching the landscapes flashing past, invoking a feel of going somewhere even when stilled in the compartment by time!

Aha . . train travel . . sigh!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Rachel wanderlusted...

most of my favourite memories are on trains travelling through europe. it's the best way to see the continent!

i'm envious of your soon-to-be trip to italy. i miss it so!

4:44 AM  
Blogger TheBeautyFile wanderlusted...

These pics are amazing...I wanna go!!! Have you ever seen the film, Transiberian? Definitely watch it...a little scary, but really really good- all about traveling on trains in Russia. Beautiful!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Bradpetehoops wanderlusted...

You are so gorgeous, have a nice day!

10:04 PM  
Blogger The Sydney Girl wanderlusted...

haha funny dream! riding an emu! yes i have weird dreams like that too. i was telling my friend today how much dreams affect my day/mood. i've been having some great dreams lately.

i travel by train to work every day. i really enjoy it. especially in the morning.. when the sun is out and looking out the window and all the scenery. very calming.

great blog. im definitely following it.

=)

xxx
sydneygirl

2:50 AM  
Blogger Lauren A. wanderlusted...

I agree, traveling by train is so romantic! Especially as it usually means I'm either going to see someone very special, or leaving them for some time (as I will on Monday). Train stations are the best places to meet again or say goodbye.

Amazing blog, this makes me determined to save up and travel around Europe after university. And eventually I'm hoping to visit Canada :)

6:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown wanderlusted...

oh I hate hate trains! the ones in england are smelly old and rubbish xxxx

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous wanderlusted...

ive never gotten to go on really long train rides like in europe but i would love to!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Lenka and James wanderlusted...

Wow you are si lucky you can travel like this....I really enjoy this too, but I have to finish my studies first.

PS: I love Ur photos

marilynglele.blogspot.com

3:48 PM  
Blogger Fashion Garden wanderlusted...

Wow you are very beautiful !! I wish I could travel as much as you do !! :)
alice
xoxo
www.thefashiongarden.blogspot.com

5:27 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Victoria Clark wanderlusted...

Its funny, because there is a huge train system in Toronto, so I guess parts of the country are different! I take them to work and school every day, they are definitely my favourite way to travel.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home