Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Bi-Weekly Travel Photo #1


When I view this picture, the first thing that strikes me is HOLY BOOBS! After all, I did weigh about 20 pounds more than I do right now.

But that aside, I am reminded of sunny days in France.

It was June 2006. Or was it 2005? Either way, I was nearing the end of my 3-month long stint in Europe. I was staying at the Marbella hotel and it was hot out. Boiling hot, sizzling, stiffling. I took off around the town as the sun was threatening to go down, taking advantage of the nice light and the evening breezes that sweeped off of the Atlantic.

I'm wearing blue Birkenstock-like sandals that I had picked up in Nice. I remember that they gave me blisters but I am guessing it didn't matter to me at this moment. Either that or I tried to match my shoes to my top...braless top too, my how times have changed! The skirt was perfect for those sweaty, sticky days, this one I had scored two months earlier in Oslo, Norway. The bag, which I still use today, is by Mango but I have no clue which European country I bought it in.

This picture reminds me of being brave and approaching strangers to take your picture (and also taking a leap of faith, you never know when one might run off with your camera a la European Vacation). It reminds me of experiencing the Atlantic Ocean properly for the first time. It reminds me of doing things, many things, by yourself. It reminds me of taking pictures NOW to show to people later, and in that mind set, it's almost like they are traveling with you. It reminds me that being a backpacker doesn't mean you can't dress nice (though I really should have worn a bra). It reminds me of being absolutely broke and not knowing whether I would be able to afford a taxi ride to the train station or food for the next day. It reminds me of jazz music floating up from the beach and of creepy French guys that hit on you when all you want to do is be alone.

It reminds me of Biarritz and if you want to learn more/see more photos about that trip, please click here.

3 said they wanna go too:

Blogger Keshi wanderlusted...

u look GORGEOUS in that pic...hot boobs n all. Dun tell me u lost em now? :)

Keshi.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Wanderlusting wanderlusted...

Yeah :( I've lost 18 pounds since that photo was taken. Wish I could have kept them!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Mummerina wanderlusted...

Your story reminds me that I should stop being such a scaredy cat and travel alone =)

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home