Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Travel Books I Need to Read


When you can't go anywhere, armchair travel is the next best thing.

Unfortunately, I don't really seem to have time for books...in fact, I have many travel books on my shelf, just dying to be read - or at least have me FINISH reading them.

Half-finished books on my shelf:

-Around the World in 80 Dates by Jennifer Cox

"Traveling solo is brilliant," says Jennifer Cox, a seasoned travel writer and head of PR for Lonely Planet before she set out on her extraordinary journey to find Mr. Right--a quest she recounts in the delightfully witty and insightful Around the World in 80 Dates.

-The Kingdom by the Sea by Paul Theroux

Famous travel journalist decides to walk around Britain...yeah...walk.

-French Lessons by Peter Mayle

Adventures with knife, fork and corkscrew as the superb Mr. Mayle leads us on a culinary tour of France.

-Spanish Lessons by Derek Lambert

American couple decides to buy a house in a small, coastal Spanish village. Misunderstandings, and the like, ensue.

Never-opened books on my shelf:

-Mr. Dimock Explores the Mysteries of the Far East by Edward Dimock

-Anything Considered by Peter Mayle

-L'Affaire by Diane Johnson

-The Olive Season by Carol Drinkwater

-Best American Travel Writing 2005 by some publishing house

-The Paris Review Book (by the Paris Review?)

-Wanderlust by Salon.com

I'm telling myself I have to read all of these books this year - or at least until I buy another travel book. But have you stepped into a bookstore lately? Holy crap, talk about being spoilt for choice.

So, imagining that at some point I will be done all these books (or they magically disappear) does anyone have any favourite travel finds that you'd like to share?

8 said they wanna go too:

Blogger Mitch wanderlusted...

Hey there...

I think that the books by Bill Bryson need to considered...

My favourite - In A Sunburned Country...

I so need to go surfing...

11:54 AM  
Blogger wee-h wanderlusted...

how about

A Year in the Merde - Stephen Clarke or A Year in Provence - Peter Mayle both about living and working in France. or

Into the Wild - John Krakauer just been made into an amazing film as well. (Youve probably already seen it over there!)

Whilst not a travel book as such have you read Carlos Ruiz Zafón's The Shadow of the Wind? Probably the most emotive description of Barcelona.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Wanderlusting wanderlusted...

Mitch - Read it and loved it!

Wee Hopper - Yes, I have read that book- I completely forgot about it!!! I read it when I was actually in Barcelona and then ended up lending it to someone afterwards - grrr. I would love to read it again :)

2:39 PM  
Blogger Rosie wanderlusted...

Maiden Voyage - Tanya Aebi
The story of one novice young woman sailing solo around the world. At times a little bit tedious, I really enjoyed the spirit of the trip. It reignited my dream of a similar trip, although I would probably hit Southeast Asia and hang up my spurs for a while.

Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert
Yes I know it was an Oprah book. Still, there's something immediate and touching about the journey to outside places that echoes the larger journey that takes place within. Plus Liz is wise, funny, honest and self effacing. If I had an older sister, I'd wish it were she.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Rosie wanderlusted...

oh, and Desert Solitare, by Edward Abbey.
less a travel book than one man's love story about a season spent in the desert. Amazing and lyrical, I was completely taken by this book.

7:15 PM  
Blogger david santos wanderlusted...

Excellent post, Wander!
I loved this post and this blog.
Have a nice day

8:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown wanderlusted...

paul theroux is almost always good. the Jennifer Cox one is interesting but a tad boring, actually. Probably girls could relate more.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Iole wanderlusted...

Love this blog and stopped by to say hi!
Love Iole

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home