Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Wanderlusting in Vancouver, BC - take a second look

In the spirit of Canada Day....



I've realized that many of you don't know much about the city itself, where I live and what it is like. And that living here, I never think to appreciate this place with new eyes, see it for the first time the way the tourists do (I know, there is hostel down the street from me and I see gaga-eyed foreigners everywhere I walk).



It's happened a few times, upon returning from a year and a bit stint in Auckland, NZ, I was yearning to see the North Shore mountains. After three-months vagabonding around Europe, I couldn't wait to wear my foreign outfits on my hometown beach. But now, in the midst of summer and sunshine, I need to remind myself that I live HERE:

Vancouver, which has been rated the Top Ten Most Liveable City in the WORLD, for the last decade or whatever, on several top ten lists. It's even been NUMBER ONE more than a few times. Can YOUR city claim that (PS please shut up you Sydneysiders, Aucklanders and everyone in Switzerland - we know you made the lists too :P) Bill Clinton even declared it one of the most beautiful cities he has seen.

Of course, we have our share of problems. With its popularity, Vancouver has the highest housing prices in the country (for example, a modest one-bedroom downtown is going to set me and my boyfriend back around $300,000 - I'm selling my 430 sq. foot tiny studio for $200,000!). We also have the worst drug and problems in all of North America (no seriously, look it up). And traffic can be a real bitch sometimes.

But overall, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. OK, I would, but just for a few years becaus I know I would ALWAYS come back to Vancouver, Sea to Sky City.

Plus the Winter Olympics in 2010. Come on!

View from the top of Whistler Mountain, Best Ski Resort in North America and only 2 hour drive away


Even in November, the city can take your breath away (my apartment is just a little to the right)


View from my roof deck facing North


View from apartment facing South/West


The ocean is everywhere! (note city way in the background)


Stanley Park is one of the biggest parks in North America and an easy stroll away from me - perfect way to spend a summer day


The beach is a one-minute walk from my place


Warmest place in Canada - palm trees, you see!


How can you say no to this every night?


I love having our boat so close by


Stunning in Winter - view from top of Grouse Mountain, looking down on part of the city - Peter Jokan photography


Calming in Autumn - Stanley Park Seawall, Peter Jokan


Cherry Blossomtastic in Spring


The nearby Gulf Islands provide refuge in Summer



Beautiful day...


Or night



I encourage YOU to find the beauty in your city!

16 said they wanna go too:

Blogger Peter Breese wanderlusted...

Beautiful city. No doubt about it.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Julia wanderlusted...

Happy Canada day!

6:10 PM  
Blogger yiqin; wanderlusted...

I really want to visit canada! We share the same birthday! hahaha

1:28 AM  
Blogger Mads wanderlusted...

aaawww I super love cherry blossoms!=)

-mads
fashionisthebestmedicine.blogspot.com

4:43 AM  
Blogger Mom Fashion World wanderlusted...

canada is so beautiful at day and night.
i would love to go there soon!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown wanderlusted...

These are so gorgeous, I'm desperate to be on vacation somewhere, anywhere, but now I want to go here! -e

4:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown wanderlusted...

beautiful.
yes i agree on that one, that's why i can never get enough of Philippines.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Ash Fox wanderlusted...

i've heard great things about vancouver. it looks like a gorgeous place. i know that they often use it on tv shows and movies as a stand in for LA. would love to visit one day.
xo
www.tittees.blogspot.com

8:49 AM  
Blogger Dee wanderlusted...

I've been attending university in Vancity for two years now, but each year my parents make me go back home for the summer, so I've never spent the summer there, but I want to. Now your pics made me want to go back this very second!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Clayton wanderlusted...

looks beautiful. i have friends from vancouver and they speak highly of it.

the palm trees in your photo are a pretty & unexpected sight!

by the way, thanks for commenting on my blog ("moonhole" post). much appreciated! it's how i discovered yours, which is awesome...makes me want to get out of the caribbean for some much-needed travel!

6:44 AM  
Blogger caroline wanderlusted...

ahhhh I wish i'd grown up in BC and not lame ONT! haha...i love it out there! you're so lucky! i hope you had an awesome C-day! love your blog!
xox

6:41 AM  
Blogger Kass wanderlusted...

This makes me miss Vancouver, so pretty :(

3:42 PM  
Blogger Sierra wanderlusted...

Your city is truly gorgeous and glad that you found the beauty in it. Love that you have a boat and the ocean is so near by!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Herb Tarlek wanderlusted...

Vancouver rules. Best city in the world for sure. There is no better place.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Banana Joe wanderlusted...

Vancouver & Victoria are the two cities with the mildest winters in all of Canada. Certain species of Palms thrive there and can't be grown anywhere else in Canada. The west end of Vancouver is known as the Riviera of Canada. Sand, Sea & Palms! Enjoy them. Cheers, Banana Joe

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous wanderlusted...

Hey, awesome! I am saving money to see it with my own eyes! Thanks for share such realistic testimony. It made me feel more encouraged to travel half planet to visit Vancouver! I hope you have a chance to come to my country and see Brazilian landscapes, beaches and big cities as Sao Paulo and Rio!

3:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home