Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Koln, Germany



Located on the spanning and sinewy banks of the Rhine River, Koln (or Cologne) is a vibrant German city, rich with centuries of influential and grave history and a youthful and promising new culture. It was founded by the Romans in 38 BC, and though it has close to a million people, it keeps a welcoming, small-town feel.







Of course one of its main attractions is the glorious Koln Cathedral. During world war II, Koln was bombarded with 262 air raids by the Allies, which destroyed most of the city...except for the cathedral. Though some say it missed destruction by sheer luck, many German's believe that the airbombers couldn't bring themselves to desimate such a meaningful and historic structure.





It is a Gothic church, which is quite evident from its stunning architecture. It started in 1248, and completed in 1880 and is now known as a World Heritage site; it houses the Shrine of the Three Holy Kings that supposedly contains the relics of the Three Magi. For amazing views of the city and the Rhine, you can climb to the top of the Cathedral, like I did...well almost. My fear of heights prevented me from going all the way up...I was a few steps short (don't ask how that made a difference).





Cologne Germany Koln Church Cathedral



Koln has some amazing shops and stores lining it's picturesque and busy streets and pedestrian promenades, which is perfect for the shopoholic in you.

Koln, Germany

Yay, my last name!




It is also the perfect place to laze by the mainmade beaches along the Rhine, or relax with a picnic at dusk.







If you are planning a trip to Germany, I definitely recommend stopping by Koln. I enjoyed visiting my friend Titus there so much, that I returned a month later.

5 said they wanna go too:

Blogger Haute World wanderlusted...

Oh, Cologne is beautiful. I used to go there quite a lot because my high-school friend lives there. The last time I went though was during the Christmas season for their Christmas market. Definitely recommended if you love food! Thanks for taking me back there... I must go again :)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown wanderlusted...

Beautiful photos of all the sites. Check out my giveaway...you might want it. {Flowers in your hair}

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous wanderlusted...

the gothic church is breathtaking!

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Mint Harvest wanderlusted...

the aerial views of the city are really pretty!

7:58 PM  
Anonymous seo india wanderlusted...

your cheers are adding beauty to the pic

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home