Monday, July 20, 2009

Sightseeing: The Salton Sea, Palm Springs, CA







Yes, I know what you are thinking. The terms "sea" and "Palm Springs" don't really go together, because, let's face it, Palm Springs is in the desert. Actually, Palm Springs is pretty much the desert.

Yet, in the middle of all this cactus-strewn sand lies the largest "lake" in California. Marked with a high salinity level (and why it's considered a "sea"), the Salton sea is known as "California's crown jewel of avian biodiversity" and perhaps was, at one time, the most productive fishery in the world.

Now the Sea is slowly dying from pollution, a rise in salinity and a shrinking shoreline. This is a great loss considering how important the sea is with regards to wetlands wildlife, endangered birds and the local economy. There is, however, a huge movement taking place in which the California government hopes to restore the lake to its original glory. The process may take up to 40 years, but it is neccesary in order for the natural wonder to survive.

The Salton Sea is located 20 minutes south of Palm Springs, off of Highway 111. When making the journey down to this unique place, be sure to stop off at one of the numerous date farms on the side of the road and indulge in a Date Shake. It's to die for.

For more information on how you can help The Salton Sea please visit here.

Wanna date?

8 said they wanna go too:

Blogger Phil wanderlusted...

Hmmm...you're pretty, you write well, and you have a social conscience. I'm glad you visited my blog. Thanks for stopping by.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Loudlush wanderlusted...

Date shake! Seriously?

Great post.

3:55 PM  
Blogger TheBeautyFile wanderlusted...

These are great! I love your blog, so inspiring...on another note, I was reading Self Magazine today and am pretty sure I saw you in it!!! I said to my mom, "Hey, I think I "know" this girl!!" Is it you??? I was so excited for you {if it is!}

3:41 PM  
Blogger Wanderlusting wanderlusted...

Yup das me!

3:59 PM  
Blogger JINX wanderlusted...

I Love your blog and i think your style is amazing...

FASHIONJINX.BLOGSPOT.COM
MADAMESTILETTO.BLOGSPOT.COM
MEDUSASCLOSET.BLOGSPOT.COM
FASHIONJINX.BLOGSPOT.COM
MADAMESTILETTO.BLOGSPOT.COM
MEDUSASCLOSET.BLOGSPOT.COM

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Stéphanie wanderlusted...

That's great !

12:48 AM  
Blogger Organic Meatbag wanderlusted...

If I drink water from the Salton sea, will it make my potato taste better?

5:14 AM  
Blogger Mom Fashion World wanderlusted...

beautiful pictures!
i hope to visit that place someday!

http://momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home